Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Coldplay in Abu Dhabi - Volvo Ocean Race by ADTA

Coldplay in Abu Dhabi - Volvo Ocean Race,
New Year concert on 31 Dec 2011 - 1 Jan 2012!


The crowd went mad when Chris Martin and Coldplay broke into ... Viva La Vida ! This was of course their first UK Number One, way back in 2008. Did you know (Thanks to Wikipedia) ...
The lyrics to the song contain historical and Christian references, and the track is built around a repeating string section with a percussion background. Coldplay performed some of the song live in The Simpsons episode "Million Dollar Maybe"!


Simple but very effective laser lighting at the purpose-built venue opposite Marina Mall!





I used to rule the world, Seas would rise when I gave the word.

Now in the morning, I sleep alone. Sweep the streets I used to own ... Brilliant lyrics!


I am glad I brought my well-used and trusty Canon Powershot G9 along, it was small, compact and available (The G10, GF1 and LX3 were all in M'sia with bbG and SS!). From my diving days, to various other concerts such as Celine Dion, Linkin Park and Kanye West, this camera has served my family very well. If you had brought anything larger along, such as a SLR, it would have been deposited at the "Camera Drop" area.







Next numbers were Charlie Brown and Fix You ...


The truly brilliant, with a hint of Edge (U2), Jonny Buckland.



Next came Clocks, which is my favourite Coldplay number (along with The Scientist and Yellow) ... It comes from their 2nd album, A Rush of Blood to the Head, and won Record of the Year in the 2004 Grammys. The piano riff (Martin) and the amazing guitar chords (Buckland) make this song amazing, as does the lyrics ...

The lights go out and I can't be saved,

Tides that I tried to swim against,

Have brought me down upon my knees...


Time for some Mylo Xyloto, Coldplay's 5th album was released on 24th October 2011 ... "Paradise" which is their 2nd single, was brilliant! Nominated for a Grammy (Check results in Feb 2012), this is only the band's 2nd UK Number One hit.

Oh oh oh oh ... The mainly-British crowd chanted around perfectly!

No comments: