Thursday, September 02, 2010

Rotel RA1520 and RCD1520 - Introduction to hi-fi!

Dealer: Archimedia - Bu Ameem Building, Umm Hurair Road, off Al Maktoum Bridge, Dubai.
My choice ... Rotel RA-1520 and RCD-1520

My introduction to hi-fi ... Thanks to some intense online research and sieving through many reviews and forums, advice from Oldham-bro K, moral support from bbG :-) and excellent customer service from Archimedia Dubai's Shahnawaz.


Nice simple packaging ;-)

Rotel RA-1520 Stereo integrated amplifier
Output: 2 x 60 watts (20Hz-20kHz, <0.03%,>
Weight: 7.8 kg
Dimensions: 432 x 92 x 364 mm

Rotel RCD-1520 CD Player
Type: Slot loading
Digital-Analog converter: Wolfson High Performance
Weight: 8.5kg
Dimensions: 431 x 99 x 320 mm


Lets start with the amp ...
REAR:
Turntable (moving magnet) in (via 2 x RCA/phono)
3 x stereo line in (via 2 x RCA/phono)
2 x tape loop (via 2 pairs RCA/phono)
External remote in
FRONT:
Stereo 3.5mm minijack for easy connection of a portable media player



I love the simpleness of the facade, and the build quality ... nice and firmly damped ;-)

The remote controls are simple too!

Voila ... done! The first choice of music has to be ... Rachel Guerzo's Just Friends ;-) Bliss!


Jules verdict ... Hardly an expert opinion, as its my "first" hi-fi, but I can easily say that the quality of vocals and instruments played by the RCD-1520 is incredible, and the RA-1520 is simply effortless in its delivery through my B&W 683 - Bowers & Wilkins floorstander speakers.
I presently play back most CDs between 10-15 % of the volume knob ... anything more, and the neighbours would go mad! Don't let the amp's "only 60W" fool you, its very ... VERY conservatively rated!
Run in period of at least 1-2 months will be required for the set-up to warm up, so I will report again closer to Christmas ;-)
Overall ... I am a very VERY happy listener!

5 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

the hifi looks yummy!! how big of a bomb did it cost?

Anonymous said...

I have a rotel 1520 too; black color. Loving it lots. Cheers,

alvin said...

Hi Jules,

Does the items taxable when brought in to malaysia?

Julian Si said...

Hi Alvin, the set-up is still here with me in Abu Dhabi. I haven't brought them back to KUL!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Wud luvvvvvvvv to listen to it ....Lucky u

Cheers

Mike